Holiday Release – Customizable Dashboards, Custom Categories, Group Goals, and more!Posted: December 18, 2008
Happy holidays to everyone!
We’re pushing a release now that’s pretty exciting for all of us, and is a great pre-cursor for things to come. In this post is a description of the new bits as well as some of what’s in store for the next release (Jan/Feb). Read onward… And, as always– if you have any feedback or ideas, please let us know!
Revised Site Navigation / Organization
There are significant (but hopefully painless) changes in navigation that makes the site simpler and a bit more powerful.
We’ve killed the “list” view in favor of putting paginated lists below each visualization. All of the power of the previous list view is available here — without requiring that you visit a different type of page to get it.
Truly Customizable Dashboards
The RescueTime dashboard is yours to customize however you like. Each visualization across the site has an “Add to Dashboard” link in the upper right hand corner which allows you to drop a smaller version of that graph onto your dashboard.
Really care about your email time? Go to that graph in RescueTime and add it to your dashboard. Don’t care about tags? Punt it off your dashboard with the little “X” control to keep things tidy. Or drag it to the bottom so you can look at it from time to time if you want to. Over the past year, we’ve come to realize that everyone has widely varying ideas on what a good dashboard should contain… So we’ve opened it up– build the dashboard you want to build!
Categories are no longer ours… They’re yours!
When we launched this feature, we did it with a collection of pre-defined categories. It was hard– YOU try to create a small list of categories where literally every application and web site fits neatly! We had plenty of people give us an earful about the fact that our categories didn’t fit how THEY categorized their tools. We listened! You can now do two things with categories that you couldn’t yesterday:
- change the category for an app or site. Before, categories were assigned democratically– you could “vote” for a new category, but if the world didn’t agree with you, you were out of luck. Now you can adjust categories however you like!
- add custom categories! Each user gets several custom category slots that they can use as they see fit. Are we missing a category? Add it!
We’ve done a significant overhaul to goals! We weren’t able to get every goal improvement into this release that we wanted to, but there are some great new features, detailed below.
- In response to pretty tremendous demand, we now allow for weekly goals! Set a goal for “more than 25 hours of work per week” or “more than 2 hours per week blogging”, or even “less than 5 hours per week social networking”! You can track your success with these goals and optionally elect to receive alerts (via email or even SMS).
- We’ve created a “Goals Summary” page where you can see a day-by-day (or week by week) overview of how many of your goals you’re hitting. And, of course, you can drill in and look at your individual goals to get more detail. Now that our dashboard is truly customizable, you can add your goals summary graph or any individual goal visualization to your dashboard.
- We’ve adjusted the visualization of goals a bit to make it a bit more clear how you’re doing with your goals.
- Group goals! For our business customers, you can now track groupwide goals. Want to set a goal of less than an hour a day slogging through email? You can do that, and track how many people on your team meet that goal and how many can’t shake their email addiction.
What’s coming for our next release…
We’ve got some more exciting things in store for you in the new year. Here’s a preview for what’s slated for our next release:
- Documents! One of our most requested features is an understanding of what happens “under the hood”– how is your time being spent in “general” applications like Microsoft Word, Excel, or Outlook– where you could be doing any number of things (some productive, some not so much). RescueTime is going to unlock the mystery and allow you to know which projects you’re really working on.
- Timesheet view. For individuals and business customers, we’re going to show an hour by hour breakdown of “flow” throughout a day, week, or month. See a dip in your “work” graph? Dig into the timesheet view to see why it dipped!
- More goals improvements.
- More exportable data.
- More exciting things that we aren’t going to talk about… yet!
Thanks for reading this far… Please let us know in the comments what you like, what you hate, and what you’d most like to see in our next release!